If you grind your teeth at night, Wentworth Family Dental is here to help! With our custom-made night guards, we can help to protect your teeth from the results of grinding. Teeth grinding means that you clench your jaw and move it in a way so that your upper and lower teeth rub together. This can eventually lead to the premature breakdown of teeth and can result in tooth loss if left untreated, as well as associated pain and discomfort including headaches and facial pain. Teeth grinding might also make your teeth more vulnerable to decay and ailments like cavities. With the use of a custom-made night guard, Wentworth Family Dental can help.
Your SW Calgary Choice for Night Guards!
What is a Night Guard?
A night guard is a custom-made plastic dental appliance that fits over some or all of your teeth. Dental night guards do not stop you from grinding your teeth, but rather, they help guard your teeth against the damages caused by the grinding. It is able to do so by providing a barrier of defense between your upper and lower teeth, as well as re-establishing space between your upper and lower teeth. As a result, it can reduce the risk of your teeth chipping or cracking, as well as straining your jaw muscles and hence the associated pain that often results.
Common Signs of Teeth Grinding
- Facial pain
- Jaw joint and surrounding muscles feel tender or stiff; it might be painful to open your mouth all the way
- Sleep disruptions (for your and/or your partner)
- Jaw locks when you open your mouth
- Pain or tenderness when chewing or eating
Benefits of Wearing a Night Guard for Teeth Grinding
- Decrease wear and tear on your natural teeth
- Help stop damage to crowns, dentures, and other restoration work
- Reduce the risk of tooth loss or chipped teeth
- Protect sensitive tooth enamel
- Decrease jaw pain, headaches, and other common symptoms of teeth grinding
- Prevent damage to teeth that could otherwise lead to the need for costly repair methods such as veneers, crowns, implants, bridges, extractions, and so forth. It is less painful and more cost-effective to invest in a night guard.