A focus on preventative dentistry helps patients maintain the highest standard of oral health, while limiting dental expenditures. That is why Wentworth Family Dental is dedicated to helping you maintain your teeth, gums, and overall oral health. With regular dental hygiene appointments and exams, Wentworth Family Dental can help you attain and maintain optimal oral health!
Your SW Calgary Choice for Dental Hygiene & Exams!
Why are Regular Dental Hygiene & Exams Important?
While regular home maintenance is highly effective for maintaining optimal oral health, it only focuses on areas of the tooth above the gum line. Professional cleanings are able to clean your teeth above the gumline (known as scaling), but also below the gum line as well (known as root planing). It is only through regular scaling and root planing that removes plaque, tartar, and bacteria from hard-to-reach areas below the gum line, that we are able to help keep your teeth and gums healthy from top to bottom!
The Wentworth Family Dental team uses traditional hand scalers as well as professional ultrasonic scaling tools to remove bacteria and tartar from your teeth. The aim of regular dental hygiene appointments and exams is to prevent cavities and gum disease. While gum disease is often pain-free, it can eventually lead to premature tooth loss and other health issues if left untreated.
What Happens at a Dental Hygiene Appointment and/or Exam?
Your Wentworth Family Dental team will perform a number of important oral health checks at your regular hygiene appointment, including:
- Removing plaque and/or tartar above and below the gum line
- A complete periodontal assessment
- Checking for the presence of gingivitis
- Checking for any gum recession
- Checking for the presence of any loose teeth
- Polishing the teeth to remove any surface stains
- Fluoride treatment (if chosen) to help prevent cavities and help harden weak enamel
- Review your home care techniques and their effectiveness
- An oral cancer screening and exam at least once a year to check the head, neck, and jaw areas for confirmation of health
- An intro-oral exam to check the gum tissues, tongue, and lips for confirmation of health
- Digital x-rays (when needed) to check the bone levels, which is a good indicator of chronic gum and bone disease
How Often Should You Visit Wentworth Family Dental For A Hygiene Visit and/or Exam?
How often you visit us for a hygiene visit varies from patient to patient and can be affected by several factors including whether your teeth are susceptible to excess accumulation of plaque and calculus, and whether you have crowded teeth, fillings, or missing teeth, which can lead to an increased buildup of plaque and require more frequent visits.
While most people visit us for a dental hygiene appointment every six months, some people may benefit from coming in every 3-4 months, while others might only require a hygiene appointment every 9 or even every 12 months. Our dental team will discuss with you how often you should have a professional cleaning based on your specific and individual needs.